1098-T Information

Southeast Missouri State University has outsourced the 1098-T process to Heartland ECSI. Forms will be available to students online, or mailed to the student's permanent address on file with Southeast no later than January 31st.

Specific instructions for accessing the online 1098-T can be found in our Forms & Instructions.

  • Questions/problems accessing your online 1098-T? Contact Heartland ECSI at (866) 428-1098
  • Questions regarding specific tax deductions/credits? Contact your tax professional or the IRS
  • Further questions? Contact Student Financial Services at (573) 651-2253
What is a 1098-T form?

A 1098-T Tuition Statement helps federal tax payers in determining their eligibility for allowable credits against potential tax liabilities.

Does the IRS receive a copy of the 1098-T?

Yes, Southeast fully complies with Sections 6050S of the Internal Revenue Code, as enacted by the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997, requiring colleges and universities to file information returns (data in boxes 1-10) electronically with the IRS.

What am I supposed to do with the 1098-T?

Keep it for your records as you do with your other tax documents. Since the University sends your 1098-T information to the IRS, there is no need to attach a copy to your tax return that is being filed with the IRS. The information on the 1098-T will help you determine if you may claim education tax credits.

How do I know if I'm able to claim education tax credits?

Information on Education Credits is available in the IRS Publication Form 8863. You may also contact your tax preparer for this information.

How do I get a copy of a 1098-T?

All students are able to retrieve their 1098-T electronically, and specific instructions  for accessing the online 1098-T can be found in our Forms & Instructions. Additionally, each year students are given the opportunity to elect to receive their 1098-T forms electronically. If students do not elect to only receive an online version, a paper representation is mailed to the permanent address on file through the MySoutheast portal, as of January 1st.

When are 1098-T forms available (online and by mail)?

IRS Regulations require college and universities to deliver the 1098-T by January 31st of each year. Southeast partners with Heartland ECSI during the preparation and issuance of 1098-T forms. Heartland ECSI will prepare and postmark all 1098-T's for mailing by January 31, in addition to providing online access by that date.

Who or what is Heartland ECSI?

Heartland ECSI is a servicer that colleges and universities use to assist in various functions and reporting requirements. By using a servicer, it simplifies the process and provides better customer service for students and families. 

How do I get a copy of a 1098-T from a previous year?

Copies from a previous year may be accessed electronically, just like those for current students. Specific instructions for accessing the online 1098-T can be found in our Forms & Instructions.

What if I did not receive a 1098-T?

If you chose to have the 1098-T mailed, per the IRS guidelines, the form is mailed to the permanent address on file with Southeast, as of January 1st. All students may access their form electronically through Heartland ECSI. Specific instructions for accessing the online 1098-T can be found in our Forms & Instructions.

Colleges and universities are not required to provide a 1098-T to the following students unless the student requests a copy: students who take courses for which no academic credit is offered; students who are nonresident aliens (not US citizens or permanent residents); or students whose qualified tuition and related expenses are waived or paid entirely with scholarships.

Can you fax or mail my 1098-T to my parents or tax professional?

You may elect to receive your 1098-T electronically through Heartland ECSI and forward copies to them directly. Student Financial Services does not offer the service of faxing tax forms. You may contact Heartland ECSI at 1-866-428-1098 regarding questions on obtaining your tax form electronically or specific instructions for accessing the online 1098-T can be found in our Forms & Instructions.

The Social Security Number (SSN) on my form is missing or incorrect. How do I change that?

The student’s information that is presented on the 1098-T form is the information that the student has provided to the University. If the SSN is missing, it has not been provided by the student, and a random identification number is temporally assigned. To update the SSN, the student must provide a copy of their Social Security card to Student Financial Services. Once received, we will generate and issue an updated 1098-T.

Please keep in mind that failure to provide a correct SSN could result in a $100 penalty imposed by the IRS.

I don't have a Social Security Number, but have an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITTN) instead. What should I do?

You may submit official documentation of your ITTN to Student Financial Services, and your information will be updated on the 1098-T file. This must be done prior to March 20th. 

Why is Box 1 blank?

The IRS provides schools the option to report either Box 1 “Payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses” or in Box 2 “Amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses”. Since education tax credits are considered on qualified education expenses only, we provide that information in Box 2 for your convenience.

What is the amount in Box 2?

Qualified tuition and related expenses on your 1098-T is the amount you were charged for those qualified expenses during the calendar year (January through December).

Since students often enroll in spring courses during the end of the previous fall semester (the priority enrollment period), qualified tuition for spring can be on the previous year's 1098-T. This is because the charges for spring were incurred during the previous calendar year, when enrollment took place. That is fine, as all qualified tuition and related expenses will eventually be reflected on a 1098-T to allow you to receive full credit.

What is the amount in Box 5?

Box 5 includes scholarships or grants that were received or applied to the student account during the tax year (January through December) regardless of the term for which the awards are intended. This includes, but is not limited to, Federal Pell Grants, Federal SEOG, other federal scholarships and grants, Access Missouri State Grant, other State scholarships and grants, Southeast scholarships and grants, and scholarships or funding awarded to students  from various organizations, associations and agencies.

Why are Box 3 and 10 blank?

Box 3 is blank because Southeast has not changed its reporting method from the previous tax year.  Box 10 is blank because Southeast is not an insurer.

 Why are Box 4 and 6 blank?

Information is only included in these two boxes if there are adjustments from the prior year to be reported. Box 4 would only be completed if there were adjustments to charges from a prior year. Box 6 would only be completed if there were adjustments to scholarships and grants from a prior year. These adjustments may occur due to previously reported spring charges or aid.

Why is Box 7 blank?

Box 7 is only completed if there are charges in Box 2 that relate to the first three months of the next calendar year (January through March). For example, if spring semester charges are billed in November or December (due to early registration), Box 7 would be checked.

Why is Box 8 checked?

Box 8 is checked if the student is “enrolled at least half-time” for any one term during the tax year. 

Why is Box 9 checked?

If Box 9 is checked, that indicates you were enrolled in a graduate program for one or more terms during the tax year. The University checks this box if you attended as a graduate student for any term during the tax year (January through December).

How do I find out specific details of my charges and payments?

Under the 1098-T Tuition Statement is a detail of the student’s qualified tuition and related expenses, financial assistance and payments for the tax year. The items that appear in Box 2 and Box 5 are labeled and all other transactions are listed on the document. The transaction history is not provided to the IRS. Additionally, you may obtain a copy of your full account summary through the MySoutheast portal.

Do I need a 1098-T Form?

For most international students, the answer is no. However, that depends on whether you are a US citizen or a nonresident alien for US tax purposes. Southeast makes the form available to all US citizens as required by law.  Nonresident aliens, however, are generally not eligible to claim any of the education-related tax credits or deductions for which the 1098-T form is intended to serve as documentation. If you file your tax return on Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ, you are not eligible to claim those tax benefits.

How do I know whether I am an eligible person for tax purposes?

You are eligible for tax purposes if you are a US citizen, a Permanent Resident (“green card” holder), or a resident alien for tax purposes, by virtue of passing the Substantial Presence test for the year. Otherwise, you are a nonresident alien for tax purposes. More information is available in the IRS Publication 519 (US Tax Guide for Aliens). Most F-1 and J-1 students are nonresident aliens for tax purposes and will not need the 1098-T form.

Tax Incentives

Tax Incentives have greatly expanded access to college. The majority of Southeast students are eligible for one or more educational tax benefits.

In 1997 the Federal Taxpayer Relief Act was passed to help individuals and families pay for higher education. The following information regarding these tax incentive programs has been taken from the MOHELA "Tax Incentives" brochure. Please consult your tax preparer with any questions regarding these programs.


A tax credit valued at a maximum of $1500 per year for the first two years of college.


Eligible taxpayers may claim a nonrefundable Hope Scholarship Credit against their federal income taxes. Taxpayers must claim an eligible student as a dependent on their tax returns, unless the credit is for the taxpayers or their spouses (who also may be eligible students).

For each student, taxpayers may receive a 100 percent tax credit for the first $1,000 of qualified out-of-pocket expenses. They also may claim a 50 percent credit on the second $1,000 for qualified expenses. Qualified expenses include tuition and required fees less any grants, scholarships and other tax-free educational assistance.

The credit can be claimed for students who are in their first two years of college or vocational school and who are enrolled at least half-time in a degree or certificate program. (However, if convicted of a drug-related felony before the end of the tax year when a credit applies, students are ineligible to use the credit).

This credit is phased out when the adjusted gross income of joint filers is between $80,000 and $100,000. For single filers, the phase-out is between $40,000 and $50,000 of adjusted gross income.

A Hope Scholarship Credit and a Lifetime Learning Credit cannot both be claimed in the same year for the same student's expenses.


Additional tax credit opportunities beyond the first two years of college.


A family may claim a 20 percent tax credit for the first $5,000 of tuition and fees paid each year through 2002, and thereafter for 20 percent of the first $10,000. This credit may be claimed for any number of years.

This tax credit is available for tuition and fees paid—less grants, scholarships and other tax-free educational assistance. Students must be enrolled in at least one course at an eligible institution. The maximum credit is determined on a per family basis, regardless of how many eligible students are in the family.

A family may be able to claim this tax credit for some of its students and the Hope Scholarship Credit for others—provided students and taxpayers meet the criteria for each credit. The Lifetime Learning Credit is phased out with the same income limits as the Hope Scholarship Credit.

The interest taxpayers pay on loans used for eligible educational expenses may be deducted from their taxable income. (The loans must have been borrowed for the taxpayer, spouse or dependents who were enrolled at least half-time.) But this deduction cannot be taken by a taxpayer who is being claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer's return.

The maximum deduction is $2,500. Taxpayers may take the standard deduction or itemize deductions. This deduction may be used only for the first five years when interest payments on the loans are required. Deferral and forbearance time may extend the five years.

Married taxpayers must file jointly. But the deduction is phased out for joint filers with an adjusted gross income between $60,000 and $75,000 (between $40,000 and $55,000 for single filers).

Deposits up to $500 into an Education IRA may be made for each child under age 18. Parents, other family and friends, and even children may contribute to Education IRA's. A child may have more than one Education IRA. However, total contributions for a child in all the child's IRA's may not exceed the $500 limit during a taxable year.

Earnings in this IRA will accumulate tax-free. Withdrawals also are tax free if the money is used to pay for eligible expenses, including room and board. Withdrawals can be used for any eligible course of study, even if the student is enrolled less than half-time. However, when money is used from an Education IRA, neither the Hope Scholarship nor Lifetime Learning Credits may be claimed in the same year.

When a child reaches age 30, his/her Education IRA must be closed or transferred to a younger member of the family.

The ability to contribute to an Education IRA is phased out when the taxpayer is a joint filer with adjusted gross income between $150,000 and $160,000 (between $95,000 and $110,000 for a single filer).

Taxpayers may withdraw money from an IRA, (including a Roth IRA) without penalty for their allowable education expenses—or for those of a spouse, child or even grandchild. Students must attend an eligible school. Room and board may be included if the student is enrolled at least half time.

Withdrawals may not be used to cover expense payments made with grants, scholarships and other tax-free educational assistance.

Federal income tax is owed on the amount withdrawn, but the 10 percent early withdrawal penalty does not apply—provided the amount does not exceed the student's allowable expenses.

Any person—parents, grandparents, godparents, friends or even the child—may contribute to a Qualified State Tuition Program (QSTP). The beneficiary (i.e. the student) pays tax on the earnings from contributions to the plan, but the tax is postponed until money is withdrawn from the plan.

There are no income limitations for contributing to a QSTP. But contributions cannot be made to both a QSTP and an Education IRA for the same beneficiary in the same year. However, tuition and fee expenses paid with QSTP money may be eligible for the Hope Scholarship Credit or the Lifetime Learning Credit.

The use of QSTP's to save for room and board expenses is retroactive to August 20, 1996.
You may check out various state QSTP's at http://www.savingforcollege.com/.

This program has the same federal tax features described for Qualified State Tuition Programs. And it has these additional features:

  • Contributors to a particular beneficiary's account may deduct up to $8,000 on Missouri state income tax returns. Withdrawals used for the beneficiary's qualified educational expenses are exempt from Missouri's state income tax.
  • The maximum amount a beneficiary may receive from his/her account is $100,000. Beneficiaries may attend any federally approved post secondary institutions—in or out of Missouri, including some foreign schools.
  • If beneficiaries do not use all the money in their accounts, the money may be transferred to members of their extended families.

Call toll free at (888) 414-5678 for more information about the MO$T Program or visit http://www.missourimost.org/.


Phone: 573.651.2253
Fax: 573.651.5006

Hours: 8am-5pm M-F,
(9am-5pm Wed)

Student Financial Services
Academic Hall Room 019
One University Plaza, MS 3740
Cape Girardeau, Missouri 63701
Additional Contact Info
Meet the Staff